Wednesday, April 23, 2025

Resin

Like many (most?) parents, one of my Mom’s main expressions of love came through food and providing for us.

I remember New Year’s Eve in our hometown, dark cold nights, cold rain in the dark and twisted trees.

We would watch The Princess Diaries and she would make punch by putting orange and lemon sherbert in soda (…sprite…7 up?). 

/

I remember in 2nd grade, she bought me a beautiful amethyst necklace from one of her travels, for work.

I brought it to school, but after the morning it fell on my hard desk, and broke. I couldn’t stop crying.

The shattered jewel touched a deeper sadness; I missed her.

Around that age, I remember watching a movie about baby polar bears and arctic animals, which filled me with a feeling of longing, for some reason. I felt like some lonely arctic creature.

/

I’m in another land, where green trees shine in the light after rain.

/

Today brought a feeling of ‘how far you’ve come’ at a school event I was attending.

Children wearing beautiful clothes from around the world skipped around. Families ran stands to represent their cultures.

At the stand from Oman, they pressed jar after small jar of date honey into my hands, and gave me a white cloth bag of Frankincense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Devotion

Some part of you is always yourself at 12 with the clunky black laptop that held your poems in a scroll THE RESURRECTION Listening to the ra...